HELP! I've Found A BABY Animal!
Call us or a licensed wildlife rehabber IMMEDIATELY! The sooner you call, the better the chance. Once we know the animal needs to be taken in to us, we ALWAYS instruct the callers to:
1) Capture it safely: Cover the animal with a towel then place it with the towel in a safe & breathable container with a lid using thick gloves.
2) DO NOT FEED IT: Do not give any food or water unless specifically instructed by us! Wrong food and choking are the main causes of aspiration pneumonia and it's usually too late to treat by the time we get it.
3) Keep it warm: Babies may or may not have fur yet but they need warmth ASAP. (heating pad on low, hot water bottle, hand warmer, etc.)
4) SHHHHH, Do NOT Disturb: Place the container in a warm, dark, quiet place - away from pets, children and all noise until the rehabber instructs you further. Do not pet, cuddle, or kiss them. Many injured animals are in shock so they need warmth, peace, & quiet just like a person would.
HELP! I've Found a Sick/Injured ADULT!
If you've happen to come across an injured or sick adult wildlife, please do not attempt to handle the animal no matter its size or condition! Call a licensed wildlife rehabber IMMEDIATELY and allow them to instruct you on how to handle the situation.
1) Describe the animal and their physical condition as accurately as possible. Make sure you keep an eye on the animal from a safe distance.
2) Unless told otherwise, handle it the same as the baby instructions above. To minimize any additional stress, turn the radio off, noise down, and keep their world dark and quiet. Wildlife aren't accustomed to our sights and sounds.
Help! I'm NOT SURE if it's hurt!
If you are unsure if the animal you have found needs assistance or not, please call us IMMEDIATELY or send us a message on our Facebook page. We will be glad to help you make that decision!
FYI: It is ILLEGAL in the state of Mississippi to possess wildlife for more than 24 hours if you are not licensed by the state! It doesn't matter if you're only trying to help it, you will get caught and can face up to $100,000 in fines with possible jail time!
SO PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY SO WE CAN ASSIST YOU WITH THE ANIMAL AND PREVENT ANYONE FROM RECEIVING THESE FINES!